Monday, January 25, 2010

Wet Dreams

I haven't been sleeping lately.

Not really.

But when I do sleep, I dream of the ocean.

I see it. I hear it. I smell it. But I never get to feel it.

Every night I get that butterflies-in-my-stomach feeling as I see the sun glistening off the ocean while I drive up a slight slope in the road in Newport, OR, craning my neck for that first glimpse of my beloved.

I usually make it to the beach. I can feel the sand in my toes. I feel the tickle of excitement making it's giddy voyage through my body from foot to forehead. But I never actually get to taste the salt on my tongue.

When I wake up it's not only in the midst of overwhelming frustration, but to the crippling reality that I am actually tangled in the flannel sheets of my queen-sized bed. In Utah.

(Sigh)

No comments: