Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

For the first time in my life I am singing and smiling in the wake of a major dump of the fluffy white stuff.

Although I have lived in it all of my life (ALL. OF. MY. LIFE!) I have no real use for snow.

I don't like the cold. I don't like driving in it. I don't ski. Well, I did try downhill once (I basically flew down the mountain really fast & then crashed to stop) and cross country once (I'm just not in that good of shape--it's hard!), but I'm really more about looking cute and sipping a drink next to a fire.

I will go sledding (like, maybe once a year) and I dig ice skating--but is snow really necessary for that?

There are only two reasons that I have ever been happy to see snow: Christmas and when it covers up all the ugly left in the wake of Winter's cruel and unusual punishment of everything.

However, for some unknown reason, I am in a good mood that started a couple days ago and is still going strong--even in the face of my buried car, stir-crazy cats, and winter wear strewn across my living room, stairs, and dining room table.

I scraped off my car to go buy ice melter for the porch and sang a jolly tune as I worked away. I stepped carefully across ice (so much more slowly than my usual quick pace) and smiled at those I passed instead of muttering my impatience under my breath.

I even noticed the amazing sparkle in the snow dragged into my house on my boots and thought for a minute I must be hallucinating because the dazzle was SOOOOO dazzling.

Snow blindness is something I've heard of, and I must be experiencing it because I am actually grateful to see the snow today. The frigging freezing temps we've been having (with nothing to show for it) were beginning to get to me.

If I'm going to be freezing my ass off, I want something tangible to blame--and a bright, sunny, blue sky is not good enough. In fact, it's downright confusing. When Savannah was about three years old, one frigid, sunny day she burst out the front door in her bare feet and no coat as I watched her look of exultation melt into one of horror.

She didn't understand.

It was sunny. The sky was blue. How could it not be summer? She looked at me and, with an incredulous look on her face, said, "Has this ever happened before?"

Sadly, I explained to her that it had. And it would happen again. And again. And again.

But not today!

Today we got our reward for living in these gorgeous mountains--a healthy dose of Christmas Cheer dumped right on our doorstep from the heavens above.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you might have had some grog or a couple of hot toddys before going out in the snow - becuase my day yesterday wasn't that sunny and bright- bring on some warmer weather like really warm, maybe in the 40's?

jaxomatic said...

Yeah, Becky. That's the spirit. It's going to be cold and snowy no matter what your attitude. Might as well enjoy the beauty. I am not a skier either, but boy do I love the sparkly snow. Hmm...maybe I have had a hot toddy or some grog, too. Nah. It's just more fun to love it than hate it. Love you, girl! Jax